Friday, August 31, 2012

Caring for Caregivers

Sometimes, even the best of us need a day off. I have seen many care providers who are so passionate about their jobs that they never want to take a break. There always sees to be a reasn that they should stay working.

This is very admirable so seniors, families, and managers approve, but perhaps too much, even of something you love can cause problems. Senior care is a stressful job. Emotions can run high and care for yourself or a family member is something many people consider to be very personal. Taking the occasional break an help staff at a nursing home or an in home caregiver to maintain a healthy balance that could be needed at any time during his or her work day as they provide care.

couple receiving care in a retirement home




While most professional caregivers would not do anything unprofessional, if they are stressed, they can be less accommodating or less friendly than they otherwise might be. If they have multiple residents in their care,  a difficulty with one resident can leave them tense for hours afterwards. The only way to avoided this, even with the best caregivers, is to make sure that your caregiver's schedule does include a reasonable work-life balance to keep them ready for the inevitable surprises that senior care creates.

9 comments:

  1. I've encountered some care givers at my mother's retirement community in Seattle. They were very kind and treated my mother very nice, sometimes I'm a little weary about how they act when I'm not around and it scares me but I have hope that they are always professional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have most recently initiated a fabulous website, all the info you will offer using this website comes with really helped others greatly. Thanks just for all of the effort & succeed. approved care homes

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of the posts on your blog are very helpful and informative. We have been trying to find a good place to have my grandmother live, and we have looked at several retirement homes in Surrey, but it is hard to put her where we aren't taking care of her. This post brought a lot of comfort and now I feel better about allowing her to live somewhere else. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've often found myself coming back to your blog for help and for information. I'm looking at different retirement homes near Surrey and I've used some of your posts to help me make decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We recently had to make the decision to move my grandmother to a retirement living community, and it was one of the hardest decisions I've ever made. But in the end I think we made the right choice. http://www.highlandgreenlifestyle.com/neighborly.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. The key in having a successful retirement home, is to care for the elderly that are living there. There needs to be a balance between having group activities for the residents and giving them free time. The time spent at the home must feel like an extension of home and not like a hospital. http://harrisonpointe.ca/hl-landing.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I believe this information is additional useful for everyone. I hope that, you may share more valuable info for us.
    ottawa retirement homes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Retirement homes seems like a good alternative for caregivers who can't take care of their loved ones anymore. I was called away on active duty overseas, so I can't look after my mom until I get back home. It's good to know that I can rely on a retirement home to look after my mom until I get back.
    http://www.hillcrestassistedlivingcolumbia.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My parents are at the age where they are not able to care for themselves anymore. My wife and I have been trying to take care of them, but we just don't have the time. So we are thinking of putting them in a retirement home. That way they will be surrounded by people in the same situation as them and they will have people to help them when they need it.


    http://www.thewaterford.ca/place_to_call_home.htm

    ReplyDelete